Sunday, June 5, 2011

The More Local Sign of Things

I haven't been blogging as often as I should, so I would like to apologize. While I focused myself on catching up on BackStory and World Business Today, I was also focusing on the single biggest news story in my area -- the Casey Anthony murder trial.

I live in Deltona, which is in Central Florida, meaning I am part of the Orlando viewing area, and being part of the Orlando viewing area, we have to succumb to the endless updates on Casey Anthony. For those who don't know who she is (and I'm pretty sure you do thanks to the exposure), she is a mother from Orlando who is accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee in June/July 2008. That alone is not why she's getting worldwide exposure. She got worldwide exposure because Casey waited 31 days to report Caylee missing, and the endless lies that followed. By that time, Caylee was already dead. Her body was found in December 2008.

That case has already become a media circus, probably nothing that I have ever seen in my young life. When I first heard about the story at the end on one of the newscasts from July 2008, I thought nothing about it. Yeah, I wanna check it out, but I thought nothing about how it would be covered. This story has now gotten local coverage, national coverage, and international coverage (and the case even has followers from outside the US). I was amazed by how this situation reached so many people, and even though I still thought nothing of this trial's exposure, I was hooked on this case.

Well, the trial started on May 24, and EVERY local station here in Central Florida are covering this trial from 9-5 with a 9-1 showing on Saturdays, and this is supposed to last 8 weeks, so it's gonna be a summer of nonstop Casey Anthony updates. Which is great because I'll take that over soap operas and Oprah anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment